On 1 June 2015, Mr Lachezar Kostov, Chairman of the Bulgarian Nuclear Regulatory Agency officially handed over to Mr Dilyan Petrov, Executive Director of SERAW, the license for operation of facility for radioactive waste management through the Specialised Division Radioactive Waste-Kozloduy.The document was issued on 28 April 2015 and renews the previous license for this activity which was issued in 2008. The period of validity of the new license is 10 years.
According to the Act on the Safe Use of Nuclear Energy (ASUNE) and its regulations the licensee is entitled to perform the following main activities:
- RAW treatment;
- Storage of processed and conditioned RAW;
- Transportation of RAW at the Kozloduy NPP site;
- Technical support, repair, testing and supervision of construction, systems and components, laboratory tests;
- Manufacturing of reinforced concrete containers for the needs of SD RAW-Kozloduy and the other specialized divisions of SERAW;
- Handling (moving, sorting, etc.) of RAW during the implementation of the above-mentioned activities.
The license awards the right to perform other activities, supporting the main ones, incl. development works unless it does not require individual permit or license within the meaning of ASUNE.
The Specialised Division RAW-Kozloduy (SD RAW-Kozloduy) operates on the Kozloduy NPP site. The work of the division includes collecting, sorting, transportation, treatment and storage of the waste, generated during the operation and maintenance campaigns of KNPP’s Units, from the decommissioning of Units 1-4 and the waste from previous practices (“historical waste”).
Due to the work of the Specialised Division RAW-Kozloduy the issue with the low- and intermediate RAW, accumulated for more than 40 years of KNPP operation, found its permanent solution.